This bold project was designed by architects Pierre Pinsard (construction of the underground basilica at Lourdes) and Hugo Volimar. Modesty and respect for the landscape are two characteristics to be respected. Work on the church began in 1959, to mark the 100th anniversary of the death of the Saint Curé, and was completed in 1961. Built in the shape of a vessel below the village of Ars, it took over 64,000 man-hours to complete.
55 meters long and 25 meters wide, the volume of this imposing monument is striking in its extreme simplicity, with the only decoration being powerful concrete beams left unfinished.