All along the way, an elegant bench in solid oak allows you to sit facing the river and soak up the sun (remember that Trévoux is the only town in the Saône valley to face due south!)
But while doing so, also take time to look at the landward side, as the estacade offers a never-before-seen panorama of the medieval city.
Fronted by a majestic cedar tree, the town’s rampart (rebuilt as a bastioned fortification in 1640), emphasized by an elegant cordon and punctuated by a redent (triangular salient projecting from the rampart), is bordered to the east by the Tournache tower. Built in the late Middle Ages, it was adapted to the use of the first firearms. Its first floor is pierced with gunports designed to defend the tower’s surroundings and serve as a symbolic reminder of the town’s power. Originally higher, the tower was levelled in the 17th century when the adjoining rampart on the Saône side was rebuilt. Today, it still features the same two-tone stone decoration as the château-fort keep: white stone on the lower section and gold stone on the upper section.